With the end of the year coming in fast approach, now is when we like to take a retrospective look at the music from the past year, and the artists who will forever comprise our soundtrack to 2015.
If there's one thing you learn as a music supervisor, it's that music is powerfully subjective. What defines a song as "good" to one person may be utterly ridiculous to another. What you take away from any song is entirely, unique to you as the listener; because music is art, and just like any art, it's beauty is in the eye--or in this case the ear—of it's beholder. For this reason, you will never see us refer to our playlists as being the "Best of" or "Top Picks of" anything, because statements of such totality can never be accurate, no matter who the source. Instead, we prefer to call this retrospective music mix what it really is. Simply put, this is The Way We Heard It: 2015.
- Favorite new artist: The Japanese House.
- Favorite song (from a new artist): "Fast Lane" by Rationale.
- Favorite artist to watch in 2016: Honne.
- Favorite song for eliciting emotion (seriously, so much emotion): "Doing The Right Thing" by Daughter.
- Favorite artist we licensed: Bayonne (for Motorola's 360 Watch).
- Favorite "we told you so" from The Way We Heard It: 2014: Courtney Barnett
- Favorite blip on the radar: The Big Pink
Did we miss the mark? Feel like we missed any really obvious songs that should have made this list? Then please, chime in! We'd love to hear your thoughts and make this a two-way conversation! The hard truth is, no individual could ever digest all of the new music that a single year produces. It's physically not possible! Time wouldn't allow it. So we rely heavily on recommendations from our friends in the surrounding music community to show us what we're missing out on!
Happy listening & have a healthy new year!